Thursday, May 22, 2008

Francisco Tikay

Much of the wood art one finds in Nicaragua is of poor quality and rather generic. However, there are a number of cooperatives and family workshops that are managing their materials and designs, and creating objects of a high artistic and technical quality.

In 2006, when I was first exploring the wood working arts market in Nicaragua, I was told to go to Monimbo, a barrio of Masaya. So I went off in my tiny rented car to find a wood artist! It was an experience, I can tell you. I started by asking an old gentleman at a farmacia on one of the main streets. He pointed into one of the barrios, so there I headed. By asking and asking again, a young boy about 10 years old, Adiel, finally took pity on me and led the way on his bicycle to Don Francisco Tikay's home and workshop! It was worth the wait!

Don Tikay and his 3 sons run a family workshop, where they design and fabricate beautiful and functional wood art objects. To the left is a photo of Don Tikay and one of his sons. Their workshop is a mess (see photo below), but the products they produce are really lovely. The vase with inlaid designs (shown above) is one example of the meticulous detail and care they put into all their work.

While I was visiting, I was able to meet Dona Tikay, and spend time with some of their other children.

The variety of objects they produce is quite broad, and includes fairly large "bauls" or trunks of different types of wood, which are really gorgeous. I especially like the bowls and vases formed from a single piece of wood, and utilizing the unique beauty of the natural colors and patterns of the wood. Many of the bowls and vases are more akin to sculptures than to utilitarian dishes! They are a beautiful addition to any room or table!


Another woodworker in Monibo is Alvaro Castellon, who I will profile in a separate post. His work is completely different, but as beautiful as Don Tikay's work.

A particularly unique business in Managua that produces truly unusual wooden furniture is Simplemente Madera. They work with an array of small wood workshops around the country and export to the US and Europe. I'll profile them also in a future post!


No comments: