Saturday, May 3, 2008

Oyanka


These birds have personality! I found them at a home accessories shop called Oyanka in the Bolonia neighborhood of Managua. They are metal sculptures, and unfortunately I don't know who the artist is. If anyone is aware of the artist's name, please let me know (vera@nicaartgallery.com).


I found Oyanka because of a series of postcards that they publish and set out at various coffee shops, in particular at Casa del Cafe at Metro Centro in downtown Managua. Casa del Cafe has a lot of ceramics, baskets, and other sculpture on display and for sale that come through Oyanka.

The postcards indicate that Oyanka is a major exporter of handcrafted home accessories from Nicaragua. They organize and support producer groups throughout the country and perform services such as product design development, clustering and monitoring of production, management of delivery schedules, maintaining quality control, and management of packaging, documentation and shipping.

The young lady whom I chatted with allowed me to take these photos, and invited me back to talk with the owner later. Unfortunately, that later never came -- it will have to wait for another trip to Managua!







The last address I have for them is Bolonia, Aval Card, 3 c. al oeste. Telefono: 266-5080. Does anyone know any more about this gallery/business?

If anyone learns any more, please let me know!

No comments: