Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hammerhead Sharks!

This is a really interesting photo by Kevin Gallagher (honkyis@charter.net). The fishermen are preparing their catch of hammerhead sharks for market. Kevin was near the village of Jiquilillo, a village below Estero Padre Ramos about 3 miles on the Pacific side.

"We were catching a sunset one evening when we saw one of the local fishing boats come in loaded down with what looked like some large fish. They turned out to be headless hammerhead Shark caught off the coast. They are sought mostly for their fin which is considered an aphrodisiac in Japan and fetches good money. The meat is worth much less. Sadly from what I hear all species of shark are in decline worldwide, to what extent it is because of the demand for fins I do not know. The fishermen do well here but sell most of their catch to be shipped to Managua and the result I think is a diet rich in junk food and soda pop."

Thanks Kevin.

1 comment:

Gabriel Urbina said...

Hi, I am Gabriel from Granada, Nicaragua. I was there, the day when the phote was taken. We were catching the sunset, whe suddenly the fishermen arrived with the sharks. I have pictures from a different view.