Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Many Unknown Artists of Nicaragua

There are many self-taught, yet talented artists in Nicaragua, who produce their work in such repetitious profusion that their skill and creativity become devalued. I found many examples of this while browsing in the Masaya Mercado or the Huembes Mercado in Managua. In most cases the painters' signatures are very difficult to read, but if you're lucky the shopkeeper may know the artist's name, but rarely anything else about the artist. Above right, my guess is this is by Marlon Ocampo.

For those of you more knowledgeable than I in regard to painters of Nicaragua, you may be familiar with some of these artists. Please let me know if you can verify the artists for any of the paintings! I am eager to learn more about them, even if they are considered "tourist" paintings!

The photos in this post today are of paintings that I found in the Masaya Mercado, each of which exhibits a definitive style and technique. Some of the artists can be identified from their signatures and they are noted. However, I know nothing more about them. Other artists have extremely stylized signatures which cannot be read. These artists will just remain "unknowns" until someone can trace down their stories! Above left, a typical "fecund woman" with vibrant colors and a interesting palette paint application. Artist unknown.

Hope you enjoy these unknown artists! If YOU happen to know something about any of the se artists, please let me know!












Above left, pen and ink on cardboard. Unknown artist. Possibly by Marlon Ocampo.

Above right, water color and pen and ink by Quinonez.

To the right, water color and pen and ink by Marlon Ocampo.

To the left, water color by Sequeira.

Below right, artist unknown.


3 comments:

Ding-iT said...

Thank you for this fine piece on Nicaraguan artwork. Would love to see it in person. amazing

Vera L.Y. Uyehara said...

Thanks Kevin. I didn't fully appreciate it when I had the opportunity in Nicaragua!! Now I'm sorry!

gloria said...

The watercolor is probably carlos sequeira.He works for the Central bank of Nicaragua.We went to school together in the US and he is very talented.